This is really smart! Kudos to the Gap, Inc. social media team that created an employee manual — “OMG You Will Never Guess What Happened at Work Today” — listing out guidelines for social media use. Companies, schools, all businesses really should consider adopting elements of Gap’s guidelines which include (in bold):
- There is no delete – ever notice how some people don’t care?
- Some subjects can invite a flame war – generally religion and politics
- It’s a small world and we’re a global company – this is gently reminding employees that what they say can be seen worldwide and deemed offensive by who is reading the content
- Respect other people’s stuff – in a nod to the creative community, Gap reminds employees not to copy
- Your job comes first – social media shouldn’t affect job performance
- Play nice, be yourself – here Gap says even though they are an employee make it clear that they aren’t a company spokesperson
And “If you #!%#@# up?” Gap encourages employees to “correct it immediately and be clear about what you’ve done to fix it. Contact the social media team if it’s a real doozy.”
Visit Ragan’s PR Daily article for other highlights! http://www.prdaily.com/Main/Articles/11088.aspx
We encourage clients and businesses to develop an educational brochure much like Gap’s. Better safe than sorry!